Dua Lipa has denied claims that she will perform at the opening ceremony of the World Cup, which will be hosted by Qatar. The 27-year-old pop star, born in London, whose family is from Kosovo, stated that she will only perform in the country if the human rights situation improves.
The maltreatment of migrant workers, the illegality of same-sex relations and human rights violations in Qatar sparked controversy over the Middle East country’s hosting of the World Cup. Lipa, who made a statement on Instagram after it started to be talked about that she will perform at the opening ceremony of the World Cup, said, “I will not have such a performance and I have never sat down to take the stage there.”
“I will be supporting England from afar,” said Lipa. “I’m excited to go to Qatar when it fulfills its human rights promises and wins the right to host the World Cup.” It has been confirmed that only BTS star Jung Kook will be present at the ceremony, which will be held at Al Bayt Stadium on November 20. US rapper Diplo, DJ Calvin Harris and Jamaican singer Sean Paul will also perform at the Fifa Fan Festival, which will take place during the tournament. Sir Rod Stewart on Sunday also announced that he refused to perform in Qatar last year.